The immortal soul. Source: Plato
z***@windstream.net
2023-03-01 16:51:56 UTC
Plato, Socrates, and the immortal soul

Most of us, in no matter what religion, were taught that we all have
an immortal soul. This is allegedly an invisible thing which is
attached to the body. And when the body dies, the soul migrates to
somewhere else, depending on what your religion teaches you.

Plato existed around 400 B.C.E. He and Socrates and Aristotle,
believed the "soul" to be immortal. The Babylonians also believed
something survived the body at death.

The Genesis book in the Bible predated that above. Genesis was written
around 1500 B.C.E. with Moses as the writer, but it covers time from
4026 B.C.E. to 1500 B.C.E.

Recall that a Bible "soul" is translated from the Hebrew "nephesh".
Thus, soul = nephesh

So does the Bible really teach of an IMMORTAL soul? SEE for yourself:

"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the
soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." (Eze
18:4; KJV)

Notice Genesis 9:5 where a "soul" has blood:

- King James
Genesis 9:5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at
the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at
the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.

But where is the word "soul"? Its there, they just didn't use it.
According to Strong's concordance of Gen 9:5:

-- of your lives (nephesh) or to say it another way: "And surely your
blood of your SOULS will I require"

--the life of (nephesh)

Thus the next time your preacher talks about an immortal soul, you can
show him from the Bible THE REAL TRUTH, that man IS a soul.

Let me repeat: "THE SOUL THAT SINNETH IT SHALL DIE."
So much for immortality. So then what is a Bible soul?

Let's let the Bible answer that one. Ge 2:7,

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed
into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
(KJV)

Notice carefully, when God breathed life into Adam, Adam BECAME a
soul. He wasn't "given" a soul. (nephesh)

Thus a soul means the person's whole body.

The Bible uses the word "soul" (nephesh) in many different ways. For
example, a "soul" can be an animal or fish, etc: Ge 1:20,

"And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarms of living souls, and
let fowl fly above the earth in the expanse of the heavens. " (DBY)

A "soul" can eat meat! Bet you never heard that one from the pulpit.

- King James
Deuteronomy 12:20 When the Lord thy God shall enlarge thy border, as
he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because
thy soul longeth to eat flesh; thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy
soul lusteth after.

Sincerely James
3/1/23 2nd Year of
Ukraine war
Go to jw.org
Georg Tillerman
2023-03-01 21:53:48 UTC
Is Isaac dead?
Georg Tillerman
2023-03-03 21:37:10 UTC
Post by Georg Tillerman
Post by z***@windstream.net
Thus a soul means the person's whole body.
Is Isaac dead?
evidently, it sort of depends on what one means by "dead"

cuz, Isaac died;

==
Genesis 35:29

So Isaac breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his people,
being old and full of days. And his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.
==

but Jesus says that Isaac lives to God.

===
Matthew 22:32
‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’?
God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”

Mark 12:27
He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living.
You are therefore greatly mistaken.”

Luke 20:38
For He is not the God of the dead but of the living,
for all live to Him.”
===

and then there's this weird statement...

===
Revelation 6:9-10

When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the [?XXXX?]
of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the
testimony which they held. And they cried with a loud voice,
saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true,
===?XXXX? is commonly translated as 'souls'

apparently, people who have Died,

can still cry aloud with a loud voice ...

so, it's odd

none of which seems to prevent 'souls' from being destroyed,

==
Matthew 10:28

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But
rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
==

but Jesus does seem to draw a distinction.

and also, there's this bit about "the inner man"

==
Ephesians 3:15-17

from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory,
to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you,
being rooted and grounded in love,
==

etc.
z***@windstream.net
2023-03-05 15:54:43 UTC
On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 16:53:48 -0500, Georg Tillerman <***@soil.org.9>
wrote:

Happy morning,
Post by Georg Tillerman
Post by z***@windstream.net
Thus a soul means the person's whole body.
Is Isaac dead?
As a doornail.

Sincerely James
Free Will?