S: lay the Dragon
David Dalton
2024-04-19 21:47:35 UTC
Tuesday April 23 is St. George’s Day, and there is a provincial
holiday marking it here in Newfoundland and Labrador on
Monday April 22, 2024.

Monday April 22 is also Earth Day.

Tuesday April 23 is also full moon.

Also in Chinese astrology this is a Dragon year, and I am a Dragon.
--
David Dalton ***@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“Mary walks down to the water’s edge and there she hangs Her head to
find herself faded a shadow of what she once was" (Sarah McLachlan)
Timreason
2024-04-20 06:26:09 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Tuesday April 23 is St. George’s Day, and there is a provincial
holiday marking it here in Newfoundland and Labrador on
Monday April 22, 2024.
St George is the patron Saint of England. Hard to say why, as he was
Turkish, I think!

However, it is celebrated as a specifically English day here, but not in
the other countries of the UK, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. They each
have their own patron Saints, remembered on other dates.

Church of England churches will fly the St George Flag, a red cross on a
white background. That being the flag of England. The flag of the UK of
course is the Union Flag (called the 'Union Jack' only when flown from a
ship).

Tim.
Steve Hayes
2024-04-24 04:50:03 UTC
On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 07:26:09 +0100, Timreason
Post by Timreason
Post by David Dalton
Tuesday April 23 is St. George’s Day, and there is a provincial
holiday marking it here in Newfoundland and Labrador on
Monday April 22, 2024.
St George is the patron Saint of England. Hard to say why, as he was
Turkish, I think!
No, he wasn't. Turkey didn't exist in his time.

He has been popular in many places and patron saint of numerous places
apart from England -- for more details see here:

<https://khanya.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/holy-glorious-great-martyr-victorybearer-and-wonderworker-george-303/>
Post by Timreason
Church of England churches will fly the St George Flag, a red cross on a
white background. That being the flag of England. The flag of the UK of
course is the Union Flag (called the 'Union Jack' only when flown from a
ship).
And Georgia will also fly the St George flag.
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Timreason
2024-04-24 06:42:09 UTC
Post by Timreason
Post by David Dalton
Tuesday April 23 is St. George’s Day, and there is a provincial
holiday marking it here in Newfoundland and Labrador on
Monday April 22, 2024.
St George is the patron Saint of England. Hard to say why, as he was
Turkish, I think!
No, he wasn't. Turkey didn't exist in his time.
TBH I hadn't thought of that! Before reading your post here, I have had
a look and found out a bit more for myself. But although he was born in
(what is now) Turkey, he was of other parentage.
Post by Steve Hayes
He has been popular in many places and patron saint of numerous places
<https://khanya.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/holy-glorious-great-martyr-victorybearer-and-wonderworker-george-303/>
Thanks for that.
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Timreason
Church of England churches will fly the St George Flag, a red cross on a
white background. That being the flag of England. The flag of the UK of
course is the Union Flag (called the 'Union Jack' only when flown from a
ship).
And Georgia will also fly the St George flag.
:-)

Tim.

David Dalton
2024-04-21 03:13:40 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Tuesday April 23 is St. George’s Day, and there is a provincial
holiday marking it here in Newfoundland and Labrador on
Monday April 22, 2024.
Monday April 22 is also Earth Day.
Tuesday April 23 is also full moon.
Also in Chinese astrology this is a Dragon year, and I am a Dragon.
Passover will also begin at sundown on April 22 in North America.