Is your name coded in the bible?
Anita
2003-12-27 18:21:14 UTC
Past, present and future events, encoded 3,000 years ago in the Bible
Can now be decoded by computer!You can search for any event or name,
including your own and your family's!
Read more ... »

http://www.biblecodes.com
Varicose Brain
2003-12-27 19:17:01 UTC
Post by Anita
Past, present and future events, encoded 3,000 years ago in the Bible
Can now be decoded by computer!You can search for any event or name,
including your own and your family's!
Read more ... »
http://www.biblecodes.com
...and you can tweak the algorithm so that the bible will show that
Nixon beat Kennedy in the 1960 election.

The so-called "bible code" can be applied to any large piece of
literature, (Moby Dick, War and Peace, Complete works of Shakespeare)
and you will get the same results if you fudge things to make it fit.
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-28 13:20:11 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
Post by Varicose Brain
Post by Anita
Past, present and future events, encoded 3,000 years ago in the Bible
Can now be decoded by computer!You can search for any event or name,
including your own and your family's!
Read more ... »
http://www.biblecodes.com
...and you can tweak the algorithm so that the bible will show that
Nixon beat Kennedy in the 1960 election.
He DID??? I don't remember it that way! I thought McGovern did!
Post by Varicose Brain
The so-called "bible code" can be applied to any large piece of
literature, (Moby Dick, War and Peace, Complete works of Shakespeare)
and you will get the same results if you fudge things to make it fit.
I have seen probably 20 "patterns" in the "Bible Codes" book, which a
friend had bought. The "patterns" are actually all over the place,
down the left side, over one space, diagonally down the center,
straight down the bottom right corner.

It's very much like a crossword puzzle arrangement. Which reminds me
of the story of the infinite number of monkeys.

For those who haven't heard the idea of the infinite number of
monkeys, the variation I heard was that a rich man actually got
interested.

So he arranged to have several thousand monkeys put in cages with
typewriters. The idea was that given enough time,they'd eventually
type out all the great books. The version I heard was done by Bob
Newhart, so bear that in mind.

He says there would have to be monitors, so we'll follow Monitor # 57
on her rounds. She reports in from cage # 375, "Nothing here. I'm
going to cage # 376." She reports in a minute later, "Nothing here,
I'm going to cage # 377. She calls in a minute later, "I think I may
have something for you. Let me get my binoculars, so I don't disturb
the chimp." She looks through her binoculars, and reports, "I have
something! "To... be.... or.... not. to... be..." "Some kind of
literature or something," the dumbbell says (a high school senior).
"To be or not to be..." she continues "that... is... the ...." She
stops; she squints. "Anybody know what a "garazka" is?"

Keep your money and invest it in your child's/grandchild's college
education!

John W

Midwinter
2003-12-28 15:10:17 UTC
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
It's very much like a crossword puzzle arrangement. Which reminds me
of the story of the infinite number of monkeys.
I am afraid I forget who I first heard say this (and it is now a well-worn
comment), so I cannot credit the statement as I would like, but I will
never forget the idea:

The existence of the Internet has proved that an infinite number of typing
monkeys will never produce anything worthwhile...

Midwinter
386sx
2003-12-28 17:41:11 UTC
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01413.html
Post by Midwinter
The existence of the Internet has proved that an infinite number of typing
monkeys will never produce anything worthwhile...
--
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to
the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky
Midwinter
2003-12-28 22:25:50 UTC
Post by 386sx
--
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert
Wilensky
Thank you. Your posts may well have been where I read it initially, at
that. :o)

Midwinter
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-29 22:10:58 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:25:50 +0000 (UTC), Midwinter
Post by Midwinter
Post by 386sx
--
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert
Wilensky
Thank you. Your posts may well have been where I read it initially, at
that. :o)
It was worth repeating. I'd heard a snippet of the statement, but now
I've heard the whole thing, and I know the author.

Thanks.

I LOVE when we can poke fun at computers. I've been with computers
before there was a desktop IBM-PC, (the original 8 bit with 2
side-by-side 5 1/4 floppies, no DOS on board, and no hard drive.

Once there was a hard drive, one of my all-time favorite cartoons (for
those who remember the black/amber monitor and DOS prompts,

The cartoon shows a VERY tall building, the tallest one around, and
there's a widow broken, and there's a computer flying through the air,
obviously having just left the broken window.

(sorry to have to explain a visual joke/cartoon)

Anyway, the computer is flying through the air out the high-rise
window, and the caption is,

"Just tell me ONE MORE TIME, I have a "syntax error!"

John W

John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-29 22:07:06 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
Post by 386sx
Post by Midwinter
The existence of the Internet has proved that an infinite number of typing
monkeys will never produce anything worthwhile...
--
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to
the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky
Ah, ha! I'd ROTFL, but I already did that. Like laughing with equal
intensity the 2nd time you hear a joke.

Reminds me when my son was a toddler, up to about age 5 or 6. He was a
funny little guy, and he FREQUENTLY cracked me up so hard I'd "bust" a
rib.

He'd wait til I calmed down and a few minutes later, he'd tell the
exact same joke again. I'd chuckle the 2nd time, and he'd be
disappointed. So he'd wait 10 minutes or so, and he'd tell the same
joke the 3rd time.

I finally had to explain, "Sweetheart, it's only funny the first
time."

John W

386sx
2003-12-30 10:35:55 UTC
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
Ah, ha! I'd ROTFL, but I already did that. Like laughing with equal
intensity the 2nd time you hear a joke.
Thank you, fake John W. You're much nicer than the real one!
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
Reminds me when my son was a toddler, up to about age 5 or 6. He was a
funny little guy, and he FREQUENTLY cracked me up so hard I'd "bust" a
rib.
He'd wait til I calmed down and a few minutes later, he'd tell the exact
same joke again. I'd chuckle the 2nd time, and he'd be disappointed. So
he'd wait 10 minutes or so, and he'd tell the same joke the 3rd time.
I finally had to explain, "Sweetheart, it's only funny the first time."
You are very kind. *smooch!*
--
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you like - it
is not the Gospel you believe, but yourselves." - St. Augustine
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-29 22:02:57 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:10:17 +0000 (UTC), Midwinter
Post by Midwinter
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
It's very much like a crossword puzzle arrangement. Which reminds me
of the story of the infinite number of monkeys.
I am afraid I forget who I first heard say this (and it is now a well-worn
comment), so I cannot credit the statement as I would like, but I will
The existence of the Internet has proved that an infinite number of typing
monkeys will never produce anything worthwhile...
LOL!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

As my mom usta say, "Me, too!" ( I agree 97.99%)

John W

Iconoclast
2003-12-28 05:24:25 UTC
No it isn't and neither is yours.
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-28 13:21:19 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
Post by Iconoclast
No it isn't and neither is yours.
Have you LOOKED? You SKEPTIC!!!

;-)

John W
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-28 13:07:59 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
Post by Anita
Past, present and future events, encoded 3,000 years ago in the Bible
Can now be decoded by computer!You can search for any event or name,
including your own and your family's!
Read more ... »
http://www.biblecodes.com
How much are YOU paid for the ads?

John W

Midwinter
2003-12-28 15:04:19 UTC
Post by Anita
Past, present and future events, encoded 3,000 years ago in the Bible
Can now be decoded by computer!You can search for any event or name,
including your own and your family's!
You can search, and with a sufficiently sophisticated search tool, you
WILL find. But that is not because anything is 'encoded' in the Bible -
it is simply because the Bible is a large collection of characters.

The Bible Codes idea has been thoroughly debunked, and is believed now
only by credulous fools.

Regardless, even if we assume for the sake of argument that such 'codes'
DO exist within the pages of the Bible, they are - like all prophetic
sources to date - entirely worthless, since their prophecies can be
interpreted only after the event they are supposed to have foretold.
Michael Drosnin, who wrote the original Bible Codes book (and made a mint,
which is of course why people write religious books), claims himself to
have predicted the assassination of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin
OVER A YEAR before it happened. Amazing. So the assassination of the
leader of a particularly controversial nation, surrounded on all sides by
enemies with its nearest true ally half a world away, was improbable
enough for Drosnin to claim this as a major achievement? Had it not
occurred in line with his prophecy (or vaguely so) then no doubt this
particular pattern of letters would have been glossed over.

There is no Bible Code. There are simply fast computers, and people with
too much time on their hands.

Midwinter
John W <john_weatherly47@yahoo.com>
2003-12-29 22:16:20 UTC
x-no-archive:yes
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:04:19 +0000 (UTC), Midwinter
Post by Midwinter
Post by Anita
Past, present and future events, encoded 3,000 years ago in the Bible
Can now be decoded by computer!You can search for any event or name,
including your own and your family's!
You can search, and with a sufficiently sophisticated search tool, you
WILL find. But that is not because anything is 'encoded' in the Bible -
it is simply because the Bible is a large collection of characters.
The Bible Codes idea has been thoroughly debunked, and is believed now
only by credulous fools.
Regardless, even if we assume for the sake of argument that such 'codes'
DO exist within the pages of the Bible, they are - like all prophetic
sources to date - entirely worthless, since their prophecies can be
interpreted only after the event they are supposed to have foretold. \
While I agree with you in general, in specific, you are incorrect
about the Bible in this regard. If you CAREFULLY examine the book of
Daniel, (which we CAN date as pre-the events described as "prophetic",
we see Daniel ACCURATELY predicting the subsequent 3 World Kingdoms
(Medo-Persian, Greek/Alexander, and Roman. Daniel predicted these
three future world kingdoms IN MINUTE DETAIL.

He knew, during his exile in Babylon, that Babylon (Egypt) would fall
to the Medes and Persians (the famous night when the king saw the
writing on the wall). Daniel predicted that the Medo-Persian empire
would fall to Alexander, and he described details of Alexander's
empire. He also described the Roman empire in detail.

If you aren't aware of it, it's worth a look.

John W
Midwinter
2003-12-30 01:10:49 UTC
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
While I agree with you in general, in specific, you are incorrect
about the Bible in this regard. If you CAREFULLY examine the book of
Daniel, (which we CAN date as pre-the events described as "prophetic",
we see Daniel ACCURATELY predicting the subsequent 3 World Kingdoms
(Medo-Persian, Greek/Alexander, and Roman. Daniel predicted these
three future world kingdoms IN MINUTE DETAIL.
He knew, during his exile in Babylon, that Babylon (Egypt) would fall
to the Medes and Persians (the famous night when the king saw the
writing on the wall). Daniel predicted that the Medo-Persian empire
would fall to Alexander, and he described details of Alexander's
empire. He also described the Roman empire in detail.
If you aren't aware of it, it's worth a look.
Here you strike to the heart of my problem with such matters. As you may
have realised, I do not believe in the notion that it is possible to know
of future events before they occur - at least not without some rational
information which will lead to a correct prediction (leave the plug in and
the tap running and common sense tells you the bathtub WILL overflow).
Such an idea has never been scientifically tested, and relies solely on
anecdotal evidence from those who, for example, were just thinking about
long-lost Uncle Whoever, and the very next minute the phone rang and...
Well, the story is a relatively well-known one, largely because it is so
often trumpeted as 'proof' of ESP.

In my experience there tend to be two kinds of prediction: those that are
simply made after the event, and those that are sketched out before the
event and then detailed in - either by the author or the audience -
afterwards. In general terms, Biblical prophecy, along with most other
fortune-telling methods, falls into the second category.

A newspaper astrologer can apply the exact same words to 'predict the
future' for a full TWELFTH of the human population, and yet he can still
convince a huge number of them that what he says actually has a bearing on
their individual lives. This is because his words are so ambiguous and
vague that each reader (and we assume that only those who are interested
in horoscopes will read them, meaning the skeptical are unlikely to be
included in the number) will actively work to interpret the words in such
a way that they appear relevant.

Example - just for fun - my horoscope from today from Yahoo!:

"You will be blessed with a more level head than usual today, dear
Scorpio, so take this opportunity to make rational decisions about the
most intense issues on the table. Stay grounded and concentrate on what
you need to do. Don't get caught up in the usual emotional drama.
Restriction and limitation are key themes of the day that will help you
reach the goals that you set for yourself."

Now - is there a single word in that paragraph that says anything in any
way useful or specific? No, of course not. But look - it all makes
sense! 'Make rational decisions'? Well, my work relies on my making
rational decisions - so that MUST be a reference to work, yes? Do not get
caught up in emotional drama? Well, it is strange, but one of my
colleagues is having a hard time at the moment, so this comment MUST refer
to her! And so on. If I am determined enough to believe, I can make this
nonsense fit into my life anywhere I wish.

Similarly, a psychic might offer to help police by advising them that they
will find the body/the gun/the drugs stash 'near water'. Chances are that
prediction is going to turn out to be right.

Now, you tell me that the Book of Daniel accurately predicts something
BEFORE it happens. Well, I can study that book however hard you want me
to, and I am likely to come to one of two conclusions: either it can be
interpreted as an accurate prediction with sufficient effort on the part
of the reader (as in the case of Revelation), or it is so accurate and
detailed that it can only have been written after the fact, whatever the
date we might believe we 'know' it was written.

There is nothing in science which allows for the knowledge of events
before they occur. Even the famous human 'hunch' or 'instinct' - where it
is not simple suspicion and dependent on probability whether it is right
or wrong - must be attributed to the receipt of information without
conscious recognition of it.

Midwinter
w***@dastardly.dirty.deeds.done.dirt.cheap.llc
2003-12-30 01:57:10 UTC
Post by Midwinter
Post by Anita
[...]
No you don't, whatbyou se is a book written in ca -165G, which does not a
predictive book make. But then, you haver to study more than apologetic
tracts to learn that. Textual critism [the study of texts, all text, in
historic context as well as what is writen in the text] makes it painfully
obvious that Daniel was not written during the captivity. Mayhap a course
of study might help you learn tha. What am I saying, john w study & learn.
Well, I suppsoe it is possible, but still, jphn w? So,you can put the
above lie to rest.
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
He knew, during his exile in Babylon, that Babylon (Egypt) would fall to
the Medes and Persians (the famous night when the king saw the writing on
the wall). Daniel predicted that the Medo-Persian empire would fall to
Alexander, and he described details of Alexander's empire. He also
described the Roman empire in detail.
But he didnb't, & if you actually had all that semkinary training, you
would know that. Or don't they really teach biblical history there?
Rhetorical question, for by your post here, the answer is apparently not.
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
If you aren't aware of it, it's worth a look.
Indeed, the fractured fairy tale claimed to have beenm written during the
captivity & known not to is a priome example of redifininh the qword is.
Classic one could say.
Post by John W <***@yahoo.com>
John W
walksalone who notes that once again, all john w does is assert & expect
everyone to concur. But they don't. & then he whines.